We managed to find a few minutes with beloved 2nd grade Lead Teacher Donna Seidel this week and she told us some fascinating things about her life before Hausner. Read on to find out the very surprising jobs she had before retraining as a teacher.
1. How long have you lived in the Bay Area, where did you come from and what brought you here?
I have lived in the Bay Area for 50 years. I came here when I was in the fourth grade as my father was relocated at work.
2. What is your role at Hausner and how long have you been here?
I am currently a second grade lead teacher and this is my 17th year at Hausner.
3. What was the highlight of your working week?
The highlight of my work week was when we were working with the other second grade class on a project. The students were able to select their workmates and several children were shy and not sure how to find a partner. Our students noticed this and gladly included everyone who needed to be involved. It was incredibly heartwarming to see how we engender a sense of community, responsibility, and inclusiveness here at Hausner.
4. What do you do when you're not at work?
My hobbies are cooking, baking, reading, walking with my friends, traveling, and spending time with family.
5. What do you think you would do if you weren't a teacher?
I love people, so I would probably be in HR or working with the elderly.
6. Tell us a fun fact about yourself.
Before I was a teacher, I was a stockbroker, a meeting planner, and a counselor for a nanny placement agency. My first job out of college was working for Merle Norman Cosmetics, which is ironic since I rarely wear makeup. Next year, my husband and I will be celebrating 40 years of marriage.
7. What is your favorite Hebrew word?
Balagan [mess, chaos] — it is one word that sums up a situation!